Monday, June 27, 2011

Intermission Impossible

My recent lack of posts has been due, largely, to my being pretty damn sick and having a work and personal life schedule that doesn't leave me much time to relax and get well. My motto is 'Keep on Keeping On'. I also like 'Make Love, Not War' and the British 'Keep Calm and Carry On'.

It's nice to see the Barkkers/Barkkies debate rages on and in regards to the Barkettes, sorry gentlemen, you just don't have the legs for it.

Now, about my summer job...

So far it looks like 6-8 kids are signed up ranging from 2nd to 7th grade. The majority are 5th to 7th graders with only one younger lad, the kid brother of our oldest student. The sessions are roughly 3 hours long each, which isn't a lot of time but you'd be surprised. I can get a lot done in three hours.*

I'm going to be running a hackneyed version of D&D with the following elements customized for the task at hand:


Ability Scores: As mentioned in my last post, standard six rated 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and 0 by Player's choice. The number will standard for how much you add to a D20 roll to do pretty much anything. Skill Use, To Hit, Saving Throws, etc. Need to lift a heavy load? Roll D20 plus Strength. Want to figure out what the runes say? Roll D20 plus Intelligence. Want to hit that Bugbear with your sword? Roll D20 plus Strength plus...ah...over to my D&D-But-Not system.


Combat Types (Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, etc.) Hit at Level Plus 1

Quasi-Combat Types (Cleric, Bard, Rogue) Hit at Level.
Non-Combat Types (Wizard, Druid, Sorcerer) Hit at Level -1.

Which classes qualify as which? Should be easy but I'll make final decisions later.

"But wait! I want to be a BattleMage! Yeah!"

Sure. Quasi. Next?


OK, Hit Points. Everyone has 10 plus Constitution plus/minus 1 based on class just like the To Hit. Why make a new chart? I know, I know. You guys like charts. *shudder*

Ever character gets a free ability based on their class. Wizards get Spells, Clerics can use Miracles (Cleric Spells), Druids Shapeshift (turn into animals), Warriors will get some kind of Mighty Blow/Strike thing, Rogues get Stealth, etc.

Then (and this brilliant little piece of awesome was created by my ex-wife, gaming goddess extraordinaire!), you write on your sheet..

.
I am Really Good at __________.
I am Really Bad at __________.

Is that awesome or what?! We tested it this past Sunday. The Paladin was incredibly fast (I am Really Good at Speed) but he couldn't read (I am Really Bad at Reading). Hilarity ensued when he began searching a shipwreck for treasure and realized he could read the signs on the doors like 'Captain's Quarters' or 'Cargo Hold'.


OK...and...that's about all the rules I need. Seriously, why the frick-dang-blast are all these books over 10 pages? I mean what the heck is all that writing about? ;)


Anyway, still working on a few details and checking with Selina (my ex-wife) as she may want to include some additional rules and systems to get the kids used to following instructions, following rules, reading rules and comprehending what they've read and that sort of thing.

Still and all, it doesn't really need to have more than that.

Which brings me to...

Once again the world of other peoples game has brushed up against mine and my golden retriever like curiousity has me sniffing about to find out how the other half lives. I plan on making a post that addresses some questions I have about how other people run certain aspects of their games, though mostly this is directed at D&D players and Old Schoolers, anyone and everyone is welcome to pop in and share.

Look forward to our exchange,

AD
Barking Alien

*One of the questions will deal with how much time one session takes and what you get done in a session. After talking about my Muppet Show game with one of the players who participated in it and a recent post on another blog has me really curious about time, content and maximizing both.








No comments:

Post a Comment