Monday, June 28, 2010

Where Legends Live

I'm not entirely sure when DC Comics used the title of this post as their company slogan or for how long but it has always been one of my favorites.

As you can probably tell from my posts, I am a DC fan.

To put it more accurately, I am a superhero comic book fan who loves the DC characters the most. Unfortunately, this hasn't always been easy.

As a kid in the late 1970's and early 80's, liking DC wasn't especially cool compared to liking Marvel. I even remember saying to my friends that I liked Marvel better. At the same time, if you asked me who my favorite superhero was I would say Green Lantern. Ask me my favorite team book and I'd likely say The Legion of Superheroes or the Teen Titans.

"I thought you liked Marvel?", my buddies would say in an accusing tone.
"Oh yeah I do," I'd reply in defense, "Overall."

It was in high school that I figured out that since I wasn't trying to fit in with the majority in any other aspect of my life, why should my geeky choices be any different. So for Adam, who loved comic books and role playing games, it was 'DC For The Win' and 'Death Before D&D'.

I first heard rumors of a DC RPG using Mutants & Masterminds mechanics nearly 5 years ago I believe. As a matter of fact, while I was working in the comic book industry (in a manner of speaking) about 4 years ago, I had the rumor confirmed by some people working at DC Comics. For whatever reasons, the project was abandoned or placed on the back burner and I for one was really sad. I love DC and I believe M&M to be the best Supers RPG on the market. The combo would be nothing short of Reeses mixed chocolate and peanut butter. Awesome plus Spectacular.

Now, in but a few short months that could not feel longer, the rebirth of this comic book gaming geekgasm will be a reality. DC Adventures! Compatible with and showing off Green Ronin's Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition, this is the game I've been waiting for.

But what to do with it? I only have a quintillion ideas. I need to focus, bump the list down to the millions at least. There is my Legion Unlimited idea, my Earth-A.C. idea (what I think should have happened after Crisis on Infinite Earths), my Earth-2 alternative idea, my Earth-3 alternative idea, my alternate modern DC Comics concept...ooh, I just thought of ten more.

Of course, running a Supers campaign set in a popularly known setting is tough. It would be like running a...Star Trek game. Hmm. I can do this. I just have to solidify the background of my particular campaign's take on DC.

So the question is...Which Legends Live?

AD
Barking Alien






2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure the "legends live" think on the covers was from the early 90's or late 80's.

    I grew up a Marvel guy, but always loved a lot of DC as well. Marvel was my hip, pop universe, while DC was the home of the big guns who were like Greek Gods or something...Supes, Wonder Woman, Bats, etc.

    Love them all, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I too love them all, DC holds a special place in my heart for a lot of reasons. For one, its universe is both more mythological, wth a vast history of stories and characters dating back to the late 1930s, and more sci-fi in that they deal with outer space and the distant future on a regular basis (although Marvel has begun to do this more now with its Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova series).

    As Star Trek fan and a comic book fan growing up in the 70s and 80s, I love for the Legion of Superheroes for example was inevitable.

    ReplyDelete