Thursday, September 3, 2009

Beyond the Yellow Brick Road

While I am not so moved by the type of medieval fantasy role-playing so popular with the vast majority of people in the RPG hobby, I am very much enamoured with faerie folklore, fairy tales, local legends, and the like.

I would much rather play or run an RPG that emulates welsh folktales or the works of Lewis Carroll, J. K. Rowling, and T.H. White then those of Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, or R. A. Salvatore.

Of all the authors of the fantastic that I enjoy and of all the worlds they have envisioned, none quite compare to L. Frank Baum and Oz. I designed and ran an Oz campaign once, many, many years ago and though short lived it definitely rocked. I have since been working on a new Oz game and 20 some odd years later I am still doing so.

Luckily for me (and for any of you with a similar interest), a very dedicated and talent fellow by the name of F. Douglas Wall is currently working on and soon to finish just such a game. Entitled, Adventures in Oz, the game is not far from being released with a pretty nifty cover and some really cool ideas. If you've been itching to game somewhere over the rainbow or just want to add something different to a fantasy game you're already playing, I highly recommend checking out his blog and related sites.

Go and hear the Wizard discuss his project at the Royal Blog of Oz.

It's a Twister!

AD
Barking Alien





2 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for the plug! Sorry I didn't get anything for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember to give me a shout when the game is finished. Also, if you do any supplements, let me know if you need any artwork. I'd love to contribute.

    ReplyDelete