Tuesday, April 7, 2009

And Now for Something Completely Different...

Rant Alert, Rant Alert - All hands to Battlestations!

Perhaps you are aware (and perhaps not) of the current shift in Wizards of the Coast's/Hasbro's policy regarding the sales and distribution of Dungeons & Dragons PDFs through companies such as DriveThruRPG, Paizo and RPGNow.

If you haven't heard about it there are dozens of blogs and forums talking about it all across the 'net. I'm not interested in furthering that particular discussion here but I do want to make a suggestion to all those Dungeons & Dragons fans who are suddenly unable to get the source material, adventures and other items they're looking for.

Play something else.

Believe it or not, there is not one or two but hundreds of other excellent role playing games out there, many on PDF for a fraction of what you paid for Dungeons & Dragons. Experiment a little; download a Science Fiction game, a Superhero game or maybe Horror is your thing. If its Fantasy that sparks your imagination I highly recommend getting back to your roots with the Old School movement and check out all the very cool, well supported new games of yesteryear!

Better yet, if at all possible, support your local brick and mortar game shop.

I apologize for the somewhat patronizing tone to my message but really, I feel that we can either be miffed about this sort of thing or we can show WotC and Hasbro that their business model of treating their customer so poorly isn't working. We can also just keep buying into it and they'll keep doing what they're doing. Doesn't bother me as I don't purchase what they sell.

And now back to Star Trek...

AD
Barking Alien






2 comments:

  1. There's far too much concentration on D&D in the rpg world. It's my favourite, so I can't complain, but I agree with you all the same.

    ReplyDelete